7.24.2008

Character Portrait

Posted by Edoray

20080723 - 105My friend Wazari mentioned in a post below that I don't take photographs of people often enough, so here's another. Shot last night, and when I say that this is a 'Character' portrait, I mean it. I happened to find him in front of the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park, so as we were talking he was weaving a tale of intrigue about his earlier days as a Admiral in the Japanese Navy. I was pretty sure, if we'd been standing in front of the Malaysian Museum, he'd have told me of his youth spend as the son of the President of Malaysia. Good thing we weren't standing in front of Victoria's Secret, because I can't picture him in pantie hose ;)

He was a character for sure, but he did say something that really struck me. He said cameras were only capable of capturing light. Which is something I always think about. But after he said that, he told me that I could photograph him if I'd only take his light, and not his soul.

I used a strobe about 3 meters behind him at shoulder lever, with a +1 setting, and another 1 meter in front of him about knee high aiming up, at a -2 setting.

0 comments: